CAMS-care UK offers distinct area approach training and accreditation. For more information on our courses – which have been set out to meet the needs of the UK crisis workers, doctors, nurses, private organisations and psychiatrists – please contact us.
WHAT WE DO TO TRAIN PROVIDERS IN CAMS
Developed by Dr. Jobes over decades of clinical trial research, there is very little that compares to CAMS in terms of its robust evidence base, flexibility, and relative ease of learning to use it with fidelity.
The CAMS Assessment training model provides a spectrum of experiences that optimises the learner’s understanding of how to use CAMS adherently within clinical practice across different treatment settings and clinical populations. Implementation and dissemination science has clearly shown that an integrative approach to training that uses several modalities for learning improves clinicians’ learning and adaptation of new skills. Our integrative training model enables most clinicians to become adherent to this evidence-based approach with their first CAMS service user and clinicians frequently report our training model provides them with the confidence and clarity to use CAMS effectively with patients. All CAMS training is available online.
Our optimal path for CAMS Assessment consists of four components:
Managing Suicidal Risk, A Collaborative Approach, 3rd Edition.
• Incorporates a decade’s worth of extensive clinical research.
• Fully revised with a greater focus on CAMS as a framework for clinical intervention—not just assessment
• In-depth case example followed throughout the book
• Describes innovations to the approach, such as how to target and treat service user-defined ‘suicidal drivers’
• Additional reproducibles (CAMS Therapeutic Worksheet and CAMS Rating Scale), plus a new version of the Suicide Status Form.
Three-hour video overview of the CAMS model presented by the creator of CAMS, David A. Jobes, Ph.D.
• Unscripted clinical demonstration of the use of CAMS with a service user through the course of 12 sessions
• Demonstration of techniques to reduce access to lethal means
• Development of a viable CAMS Stabilisation Plan
• Identification of direct and indirect drivers of suicide
• Creation of a collaborative treatment plan
• Not-to-be-missed set-back session and resolution
PRACTICAL ROLE-PLAY TRAINING
Online or in-person immersive experience in the use of CAMS
• Interactive exercises to practice using CAMS
• Demonstrations of the use of CAMS in live unscripted role plays
• Group discussions to strategise challenging case presentations, different techniques and tactics, and application to specific service user populations
• Recommendations for implementation in systems
• Opportunity for one-on-one questions with trainers
• Available for groups or individuals
CAMS Supervision Calls
Hour-long phone or digital meetings for clinicians
After completing either the CAMS book, online video course and/or CAMS practical role-play training
• Expert consultants answer questions that arise as providers use CAMS with service users
• Case presentations with suggestions and feedback
• Tips and strategies for addressing access to lethal means
• Specific coping strategies and treatment modalities for treating suicidal drivers
• How to address set-backs and maintaining a collaborative approach
• Available for groups or individuals
CAMS Education Day
This remote or on-site program provides an overview of data and theories regarding suicide rates, information about the field of suicidology and suicide prevention.
• It is intended for large audiences of healthcare providers and administrators, and it is appropriate for settings ranging from hospital networks and state agencies to counseling centers and school districts.
• It is offered as a half-day or full-day of online training or onsite training, but different arrangements may be possible depending on your target population and training goals.
CAMS-care UK can accommodate different tailored training for the use of CAMS for individuals and for groups. Our recommended learning path for individuals is to read the CAMS book, take the Online Course, participate in an Online Role-Play Training Day, and have at least four supervision calls. For groups, our team will work closely with you to determine the best approach and combination of components to meet your goals. The CAMS-care UK team continues to study all permutations of the training model to find optimal, efficient, and cost-effective approaches to learning to use CAMS.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who should get training in CAMS?
Mental health providers who provide individual therapy; mental health providers in inpatient, emergency department, and intensive outpatient programs; case managers; school counsellors and administrators; and emergency or crisis responders.
Do you offer accreditation in CAMS?
Yes. We offer the designation of CAMS Trained and a Clinician Locator so that suicidal people and their loved ones can find an evidence-based clinician in their area.
How long does it take to become proficient at using CAMS with patients?
Research has shown that clinicians can become adherent in the use of CAMS with their first service user within four sessions.
Do you have a Train the Trainer Program?
Couldn’t find the answer?